The Development Geologist is responsible for all aspects of geological technical work across development and production within the operated client license. With a multi-year development drilling campaign planned to maintain gas production plateau, the incumbent is expected to provide technical expertise within a multi-disciplinary team focused on long term activities of geosciences.
The geologist will primarily have experience in development optimization, with strong capability in regional geology (sedimentology and stratigraphy). The required breadth of expertise is wide with requirement for advance geomodelling and uncertainty. The role is based on site in Algeria on a rotational basis.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for geological technical work and studies. This includes:
• Integrating geological, petrophysical, geophysical and other field data as required to understand both regional geology and reservoir architecture.
• Performing field evaluation studies, development planning, resource maturation and risk mitigation.
• Designing and executing modeling studies. Update and build geologic static models utilizing Petrel suite of Software, capturing the range in uncertainty.
• Strong contributor within subsurface teams to the selection and evaluation of drilling candidates. Participating in definition, design and planning of data acquisition programs in collaboration with the well team. Supervising geological operations and QC deliverables on well site when required.
• Providing QA/QC of all geological work and ensuring that work is performed according to company best practices and standards. Capture, share and implement lessons learnt to improve workflows.
• Providing technical expertise on specific topics (e.g. sedimentology, structural geology, basin modeling, reservoir characterization, reservoir modelling, fractured reservoirs, geostatistics etc)
• Developing and preparing proposals for studies and coordinating internal or external execution. QC and apply study findings.
• Test and evaluate new technology, workflows, and software. Coordinate R&D projects.
• Contributing proactively to technical proposals, reports, and presentations to partners (workshops/TCMs), internal processes (assurance/peer Review) and technical authorities as requested.
• Acting as representative in various technical conferences and workshops.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL INTERFACES
Requirement to maintain close working relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure understanding and cooperation towards promoting client interests and achieving results:
• With Geoscience and Reservoir Engineering teams: contribute proactively to development studies.
• With Drilling: ensure close cooperation and communication with subsurface teams.
• With Functional / Assurance management: bring technical support to reserves audits and peer review teams, ensure implementation of good practices.
• With partners and local authorities: prepare data and reports, contribute to communication facilitation, discussions and presentations to partners and local authorities.
• With contractors: handle execution and quality control of outsourced work and studies.
CONTEXT AND ENVIRONMENT:
Monthly rotational assignment 28/28. Will be based on site at Oued Zine (Adrar, Algeria). Missions and meetings in Algiers/London may also be required.
· Demonstrate HSE Leadership and contribute to the clients Safety performance and culture.
· Takes responsibility for health and safety within the organization, for themselves and for others.
· Complies with health and safety regulations, instructions and rules.
· Be a role model and support compliance with the client's Life Saving Rules. Knows, understands and implements the Life Saving Rules that are in place at GTG.
· Conducts Management Safety Walks as required.
· Is able to identify hazards and stop work if required.
· Support that all accidents, incidents, near misses and safety observations are correctly reported, investigated and corrective actions identified, participating in investigations as required.
· Implements the consequence management procedure for direct reports if appropriate.
REQUIRED COMPETENCES/ QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE/ PROFILE:
· PhD / Master’s degree or equivalent in geology Master’s degree or University Degree (Bac+5) in relevant discipline or equivalent
· PhD / Master’s degree or equivalent in geology/petroleum engineering with at least 15 years of experience.
· Strong geological background, from regional basin and stratigraphy interpretation across diverse geological settings, including glacial depositional environments .
· Hands one experience of geomodelling; clastic reservoir characterization, including diagenesis modelling and advanced knowledge of fracture modelling (e.g. Petrel).
· Has led, contributed to, compiled and documented FDP and Well Proposals.
· Extensive experience in operational or JV role.
· Previous rotational experience in remote working environment is a plus.
· Excellent inter-personal skills, with ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment and to integrate subsurface and other disciplines into a multi-years project.
· Delivery of high-quality work against challenging timeline and in rotational environment.
· Good communication skills and the ability to effectively present and discuss results and issues, and to provide the technical base of decisions. and to influence on decisions
· Fluency in English and French is required. Arabic is preferred.
· Agile and adaptable in the face of changing situations, flexible in mindset and doesn’t over complicate.
· Takes ownership and accountability, embraces the ambiguous world we operate in; makes tough, well-timed and informed decisions.
· Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills and ability to manage relationships with stakeholders.
· Creativity and sense of initiative.
· Works effectively in a matrix structure, shares knowledge freely and embraces different opinions; demonstrates a team of teams’ mindset.
· Excellent communication skills, ability to present technical content in a competent and persuasive manner to a large variety of audiences internally and externally.
· Ambitious to succeed and driven to exceed expectations.
· Strong motivation, tenacity and working capacity to carry out long term objectives.
· Is inquisitive and challenges conventional thinking, suggesting improvements and sharing new ideas within the context and boundaries of agreed processes, policies, and procedures.
· Is entrepreneurial, pushes boundaries and leads with conviction, is a catalyst for and supporter of change.
· Strong problem-solving capability
· Rigorous reasoning, strong numerical skills
Acting in compliance with Company values:
· Health, Safety & Environment: Excellence in HSE is demanded and integral to everything we do.
· Integrity: Commitment to ethical operations and respect to all individuals across all organisations.
· Accountability: Take responsibility of actions and results.
· Teamwork: Only together can we grow, only in partnership can we succeed.
In recent years, we have invested in the digitalization of our recruitment process so that our recruiters can dedicate more time to qualitative discussions with the selected candidates. We have also redesigned our job board on the website to make it easier to find jobs and apply. The entire Recruitment team is committed to providing the best possible experience to our candidates.